55 WESTAND COMPANY

QUITE POSSIBLY... THE COOLEST STORE ON THE PLANET!!!

Friday, May 16, 2008

A long happy marriage

Life at 55 is never dull. New creations are always spilling out of our studios, fresh deliveries of quirky antiques need polished and priced, and there is a non-stop parade of characters walking through the front door. Folks like Billie Boa, the eccentric midget wrestling promoter (who coincidentally lives in a tee pee for a few months out of the year) to designers from Abercrombie and Crate & Barrel make daily life very interesting. I must admit, though, that my favorite guests in the store are usually over 70. I appreciate their sense of self and often times blunt words of wisdom. Today I found myself chatting with a kind, soft-spoken, almost 5 foot tall grandma who had just celebrated her 50th wedding anniversary. I asked her what she thought was the secret to a good marriage, and she exclaimed (without missing a beat) "lusty weekends away from home!" -After I caught my breath from the initial shock and then deep belly laughs that possessed us both, she gave me a hug and skipped outside to her doting husband...
-stefanie

No comments: